Neil Hellman Preschool
Located in the Early Learning Center in Schenectady, Neil Hellman Preschool is a multiservice early childhood center for children ages 3–5, which includes preschool special education, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, social work services, preventative childcare with and without social work, psychological services, subsidized day care, and universal prekindergarten.
Click here fpr 2022-2023 daycare calendar
Click here for 2022-2023 special education calendar
Click here for 2022-2023 universal pre-K calendar
Program staff help parents evaluate and forecast their children’s developmental needs by employing screening and educational activities in the center. Children determined to have developmental or attachment deficits are referred for professional evaluation and, if deemed appropriate, intervention.
- Licensed practical nurse on site
- Day care, both self-paid and county subsidized
- Center is open from 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. with limited availability for 7:30 a.m.–8:00 a.m. care
- Two meals and one snack, prepared on site, served daily; a nutritionist reviews the menus and the federal Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) oversees the kitchen and meal service
- Large gym and large fenced play areas on-site
- Special education services onsite including speech, physical therapy, occupational therapy, counseling, and social work
- Increased school readiness and early literacy skills
- Preschool special education services
- On-site health screenings and developmental screenings ensure needs are met
- Decreased out-of-home placements for preventative families
Children ages 3–5 can attend the preschool for $225 per week. Other families are referred through several local school districts and Schenectady County Department of Social Services.
For day care or universal prekindergarten services, call or visit the Early Learning Center, 125 Bigelow Avenue, Schenectady, 518.292.5510.
Special education and early intervention services are accessed through the school system or Health Department respectively, dependent on child’s age. Preventative child care and subsidized child care is accessed through Schenectady County Department of Social Services.